Search This Blog

IT'S PIE WEEK!

"We must have a pie. Stress cannot exist in the presence of a pie." David Mamet

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Chia Berry Coconut Cream Parfait




To reward myself after a doctor's appointment, I dipped into an upper east side juice bar where I found the breakfast of my dreams: a parfait layered with chia seeds, berries, granola and coconut cream. I bought it without hesitation. The overall bill was a little high, but I thought it was the fresh juice. It was the parfait. $10. Gulp.

So I have tried to reproduce this elixir myself, and it was yummy. It would be better if I could wait for it to set in the fridge - but I can't.

Chia Berry Pudding Coconut Cream Parfait
Serves 2-3

This recipe is composed of three layers: chia-berry pudding, a quick stove-top granola, coconut cream.

First layer - pudding:
2 Tablespoons Chia seeds
1 cup frozen mixed berries
Splash of water

In a small saucepan on medium heat, add berries and water until berries soften. Turn off heat, stir in chia seeds and set aside. 

Second layer - granola
1/2 cup nuts and seeds of your choice, chopped roughly (I had pumpkin seeds and cashews on hand - but I love it with pecans) 
1/2 cup shredded coconut unsweetened
1/2 cup dried fruit of your choice, chopped roughly (dried cherries, dates, etc.)

In a small pan, preferably cast iron, on medium heat, toast nuts and seeds. Stir often and keep close to the stove to prevent burning - maybe 2 minutes depending on how hot your burner gets. You should be able to smell the toasting. Remove to a medium bowl and set aside.
This is ready to burn.
Add coconut to the same pan over medium heat, stirring often. It can take as little as 30 seconds to get that nice browned color, and 40 seconds to burn.

Combine all three food groups in a bowl.


Third layer - coconut cream
3-4 tablespoons classic coconut milk
juice from 1/2 lemon
sweetener of your choice (optional)

In a medium bowl, whisk coconut cream with lemon and sweetener until smooth.


Combine:
Scoop 1/4 cup chia pudding into a medium glass. Top with granola. Pour coconut cream on top. Let it set in the refrigerator for 1 hour.


No comments: